Retaining walls are a popular type of constructional element. These retaining walls are categorized into following major types:
- Gravity retaining walls are a stronger version of the retaining walls. These walls are made out of heavy construction materials like stone, concrete. It is because of these tough materials that they can face all kinds of pressures coming from the environment. They are more stable and balanced form of walls. They can be used for limited spaces and the larger ones. The walls surrounding the small areas are created with mortarless stone. The other form of these gravity walls is referred as the dry stacked walls. Huge stone stacks were used to create the huger versions of the gravity retaining walls. The popular version of this category of the concrete resurfacing Sydney is the crib walls, gabions and soil nailed walls.
- Cantilevered retaining walls are the second popular form of the retaining walls. The interior of these walls makes them stand out. It includes a strong steel interior. These walls work great due to heavy beams that can sustain any vertical pressure. These walls are supported in the front with the assistance of the small winged walls called buttresses. The best feature of this wall is that it is more economical than other types of the retaining walls as it is built with the limited materials.
- Sheet piling retaining wall are great for the regions that have limited space. They stand firmly in the soft soils. These walls are not made out of concrete. Instead they are created with the steel, vinyl, and wood. The wall is installed in such a way that one third of it stays out of the ground. These walls often need an additional support if the ground is not too firm. This is called tie-back anchor. It works like an anchor that is fixed with the wall with the help of the cables.
- Bored pile retaining walls include piles that are stacked together. The space is created by digging out the soil from the ground. This kind of wall works with not just one but multiple anchors.
- Anchored retaining walls are a popular option in the hilly and the mountainous areas. It requires more strength than the rest of retaining wall blocks Sydney. As they have to prevent the stones from rolling down and from land sliding therefore they are assisted by the cables. These walls work great in areas where heavy works are going on.
As the word retaining reveals these walls are meant for holding the weight and retaining the strength of the walls. They are great options for dealing with high load works. They do excellent job in keeping the things intact.